Sometimes you must have seen a red cross sign on the sign icon in your taskbar; this means that your computer will not play any sound. This is when the users encounter the no audio output device is installed error.
This error can be caused due to certain problems like when the windows have disabled your audio device when your computer does not have the latest correct device driver installed, or the audio driver is corrupted.
5 Best Ways to Fix No Audio Output Device is Installed Error
This error can also occur due to a faulty audio jack. In this article, I will tell you the ways in which you can solve No Audio Output Device is Installed error.
Method 1: Update the Sound Driver
As already mentioned, one of the causes of the reoccurring of this error is the outdated device driver. So, the first method that you should try to solve this problem is by updating the sound driver.
This process can be done by you manually, but that will become a very daunting task as you have to find the driver source online and then find the right version according to the audio device and OS version.
If you want to escape from all this and want to do this hassle-free, then you can use driver support, which is a professional driver update utility tool. This device will scan the system and automatically find the correct version of a sound driver for your system. You just have to follow the steps given below:
1. First, you have to download and install driver support.
2. Then launch the driver support and perform a quick scan. If the device driver finds anything wrong with the audio driver, then you will see it listed.
3. Then click on fix it to download and install the required driver.
4. Then you will be asked to sign up for a premium account.
5. Then restart your computer when prompted.
Method 2: Fix the device manager to fix No Audio Output Device is Installed Error
If updating the device driver does not help, then you can try by fixing the device driver. To execute this method, follow the steps given below:
1. Press Windows key and R to open the run dialog box.
2. In the run dialog box type devmgmt.msc to open the device manager.
3. Navigate to a section for sound, video and game controllers.
4. Click on action tab located at the top left part of the menu. Then click on add legacy hardware.
5. Then click next on the pop-up wizard. Select search for and install hardware automatically, and then click Next.
6. Now scroll down and find the sound video and game controller tab and then click Next.
7. Then you have to choose your exact sound card (you have to check your brand and model) and click next. Install the associated driver and then click on finish.
8. Now go back to the device manager, right-click on your audio device and click on enable.
Now from here, you can check if the error still persists. If the error is still there then you can uninstall the audio driver update and reboot your computer.
Method 3: Reboot your System
Sometimes the error may be caused by changing the hardware configuration when loading windows. If you want to prevent this from happening then you need to refrain from removing or attaching any devices while your computer is booting.
You should always add or remove once the window is completely loaded. This error can also be fixed simply by rebooting your computer.
Method 4: Uninstall and Reinstall
If any of the above-mentioned methods don’t help, then you can try by uninstalling and reinstalling the app manually. Follow the following steps:
- Press Windows key and R to open the run dialog box.
- In the run dialog box type devmgmt.msc to open the device manager
- Now in this expand the sound, video, and game controllers then right-click on your audio device and select uninstall to uninstall the driver.
- Then you have to restart your computer, and your computer will automatically reinstall the sound driver. We can assume that it will reinstall the latest version of the device driver, which will eventually solve the problem.
Method 5: Re-enable the device to fix No Audio Output Device Is Installed Error
For executing this process, follow these steps:
- Open the Run dialog box, and type devmgmt.msc in the Run dialog box then click ok to open the device manager.
- In that go to sound, video and game controller and expand it.
- Then right-click on your audio device. Then click on enable option in the pop-up menu.
- Hopefully, this method will help.
As already mentioned, the main reason for No Audio Output Device is Installed error is the device driver is either corrupted or outdated. Therefore you should update the driver to the latest version available. I hope this article was a help.