Many of you must have got an error notification saying “com surrogate has stopped working” while browsing and the odd part is that this notification appears only when you are browsing photos and videos and not when you are browsing other files, this can also appear when you are trying to print.
This popup notification appears mainly in windows 7, 8, and 10. This might be frustrating, but you don’t need to worry, we have solved this problem for you.
7 Best Solutions to Fix Com Surrogate Has Stopped Working
In this article, all the easy methods/ways in which you can solve this problem.
But first, you what is com surrogate?
COM Surrogate is the executable host process (dllhost.exe) which runs in the background, while you are navigating through files and folders.
When you are able to view the thumbnails, it is because of this process. What will happen when this process crashes?
You will get an error popup on the screen “com surrogate has stopped working” in this you can click on check online for a solution and close the program or you can simply click on close the program.
This problem may also be caused by corrupted codecs that are required to view the media. Now, let’s move to the ways by which you can solve this problem.
Solution 1: Rollback your Video Driver
One of the main reasons for cum surrogate not working can be caused because of the wrong video driver on your window computer.
You can easily fix this problem by just rolling back your video driver, for this follow the following steps:
1. Open the run box by pressing the window icon and R together.
2. In the run box type devmgmt.msc and press enter.
3. Go to the display adapter section. Right-click on the display adapter and select properties.
4. Choose to view on driver pane. Then click roll back driver.
If you observe that roll back driver grayed out you can download the previous version of the driver pf the video card or you can solve all the driver’s problems automatically through driver easy.
You can also update your drivers automatically:
1. Download and install the driver easy.
2. Run the driver easy and click on the scan now button. It will then scan your computer and detect any problem driver.
3. Click on update all option to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are out of date or are missing.
Solution 2: Add dllhost.exe to the DEP Exception
As I have already mentioned that cum surrogate is the executable host process (dllhost.exe) running in the background while you are browsing. So, adding it to the DEP exception list can also help in fixing the problem.
1. Open the run box by pressing the window key and R together.
2. Type control in the run box and click ok to open the control panel.
3. Click on the system when view by large or small icons.
4. Then on the popup window click on advanced settings.
4. Under the performance, dialog click on settings.
5. Now, click on Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select, under data execution prevention pane.
6. Then you have to head to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 or System32(base on your system).
Note: if you don’t know your system type then you can check by typing msinfo32 in the Run box and your system information panel will open.
1. Now, navigate to dllhost and double click.
2. Then click on apply–>ok and save the setting.
Solution 3: Update Codecs
If both the above-mentioned solution doesn’t help then you can try by updating codecs as it is a video/pictures related problem. You simply have to download and install the window code pack manually.
If you have DivX or Nero installed on your computer, then you need to update that also. Sometimes you may also have to uninstall and reinstall that again.
Solution 4: Antivirus
There have been some issues with Kaspersky antivirus. If you are using this antivirus make sure you have installed the actual version of the antivirus and not just the antivirus definition.
You can check if this is actually causing the problem or not by simply disabling the software altogether.
Solution 5: Re-register the DLLs
You may have to re-register yourself if the problem still persists. For this:
Click on start button > type cmd> right click on the cmd program and select run as administrator.
In the command prompt window type, the following command and press enter.
Solution 6: Check the Disk Error
If the error is occurring whenever you are opening a saved file in a particular drive other than c drive, then you should check your drive for error.
1. Hold the window key and press E. on the window7/ vista.
2. On window 8/10 choose this PC. Then right-click on the drive you want to check and click on properties. Click on the tool tab and click on check now on error checking.
3. Check both the options and click start.
Solution 7: Uninstall EaseUS Data Recovery
In some cases, it was observed that the EaseUS data recovery application is causing the problem. Then it is advised that you should uninstall the application and see if the error still persists.
1. Press the window and I key simultaneously to open settings.
2. Click on apps and select apps & features.
3. Now scroll down and click on the EaseUS recovery option then select uninstall.
4. Follow the screen instructions to completely uninstall it.
These were some easy methods that can be used to solve the Com Surrogate has Stopped Working error. Com surrogate is important for browsing photos and videos.
The cause may be some corrupted files, your codecs may not be updated, there may be some disk error and reasons like that.
It uses dllhost.exe and runs in the background while you do the browsing part. I hope this article was a help.