The most annoying errors faced by window users face the BSOD that is the blue screen of death error. Dreaded Ntoskrnl.exe BSOD is also a blue screen error that also causes a problem to the users. The most common error among these is the atikmdag—sys BSOD error in windows 7, 8, and 9.
Blue Screen of Death is a nightmare that no windowed user wants to encounter. It prevents the system from booting and always occur unexpectedly. In this case, restarting your computer doesn’t help in any way as the error persists.
Before learning how to fix atikmdag.sys error, let me first tell you what atikmdag.sys is.
What is atikmdag.sys?
Atikmdag stands for ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver Package. It is an essential file once it is damaged, atikmdag.sys error occurs. It is a system driver that allows communication between graphic cards and software. The user using the AMD Radeon family graphic processor says that this is the main culprit in having atikmdag.sys error.
Reasons behind atikdmag.sys error
- The main reason is the external graphic card that is creating a problem with the hardware.
- In some PC, if you have an AMD graphic card, then this problem will occur after you have upgraded to window 10.
- It will occur when you are starting the computer or while you are using an application, generally a game.
- Any damage to atikmdag.sys files will lead to significant window error leading to BSOD as it is an essential file required for the proper functioning of the computer graphics.
- Stop errors can also be observed due to RAM corruption/damage.
- Any wrongly configured AIT file is also one of the reasons.
- It can also be due to virus and malware intrusion corrupting the sys files.
If any of these problems occur, you will get a notification that says, “A problem has detected, and the window has shut down to prevent damage to the computer. The problem seems to be caused by the following file: Atikmdag.sys.”
“:( Your PC ran into a problem and needed to restart. We’re just collecting some info, and then we’ll restart for you. If you would like to know more, you can search online later for this error: atikmdag.sys.)”
8 Best Ways to fix Atikmdag.sys Error in Windows
1. Full system scan to Fix Atikmdag.sys BSOD Error
As mentioned above, one of the reasons in virus and malware intrusion so start with running a full system scan. The corrupted files need to be recovered/ repaired and restored to solve the problem.
2. Window update
1. You should always keep your window updated so that your PC keeps working without any interruption. Keeping your PC window updated will solve many issues, including Atikmdag.sys.
2. You can easily check for updates by going to the control panel then to update and security.
3. There download and install all the available updates.
3. Restore the Atikmdag.sys to fix Atikmdag.sys BSOD Error
You can restore all the missing files of Atikmdag.sys from the bin or simply download all the missing files from other sources but make sure the sources should be an official source to prevent any virus or malware intrusion.
4. Uninstall recent installation
If the error persists, then you can uninstall all the recent installation related to ATI because maybe these files are corrupte3d and are causing the screen to go blue.
5. Update AMD Radeon Drivers
Drivers play a crucial role in establishing an interface between software and hardware. Thus, if your drivers are not updated, they might cause a problem
1. Press window + R in the text field type ‘devmgmt.msc’ and click ok to open the device manager window.
2. In the left panel under display adapters, click on video adapter and select update drivers from the popup.
3. Then update the driver and restart your PC.
6. Perform a system restore to fix Atikmdag.sys BSOD Error
There is an option that restores the system and undoes all the recent changes that might solve your problem
1. Press window icon and type system restore.
2. Enter the admin pass.
3. Follow the steps in the wizard to choose a checkpoint date.
4. Reboot your PC in normal mode.
7. Change HDD/RAM
If by now, you are unable to eradicate your problem, then there must be HDD/RAM failure that is causing the problem. Now you need not rush to buy a new RAM you should first borrow someone else’s RAM and check whether its working or not.
If the thing went pretty well, then congrats you have found the cause of the error now you can buy a new RAM and work without any problem.
8. Run a System File Checker
The BSOD may be relevant in the window registry as the registry contain all the critical files that help in the proper functioning of the system.
1. Go to the search box, input cmd, and run command prompt.
2. Use the command – sfc /scannow to scan your system.
3. This process will take some time.
4. After the process is complete, you can reboot your PC.
As I have said earlier that Atikmdag.sys BSOD error is a nightmare to all the window users. I wish none of you will face this, but if you do the above mention steps will surely help if followed step by step.
You can easily perform a clean installation of the window after taking the backup of the date beforehand. The steps mentioned above are simple and easy to follow. I hope this article was a help.